For those of you who are especially adventuresome, I've also included my mom's recipe for liver sausage.
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups buttermilk
- melted butter for frying
- In a clean glass or metal bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until they can hold a stiff peak. Set aside.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, sugar, egg yolks, melted butter and buttermilk at one time and beat until smooth. Gently fold in the egg whites last.
- Brush melted butter in the bottom of each aebleskiver pan cup and heat until hot. Pour in about 2 tablespoons of the batter into each cup. As soon as they get bubbly around the edge, turn them quickly (Danish cooks use a long knitting needle, but a fork will work). Continue cooking, turning the ball to keep it from burning.
Ingredients & Instructions
- Meat cooked off 2 hog's heads
- Add 3 or 4 onions to the broth while cooking
- 7 lb liver simmered done
- Grind it all and mix well
- Add salt, pepper, allspice, thyme and marjoram to taste. No one has given us exact measurements.Put in pint jars and pressure cook one hour at 15 lb. pressure