There were hundreds of us walking the three-mile Raccoon River Park trail in West Des Moines. We shared space in the park and on the trail with PAWS for a Cause and another group of walkers supporting another disease cure.
Walks have become a popular way to raise money while raising awareness. These walks must be effective; there are more of them every year.
As I walked along with a friend who also spent her working career in marketing, we talked about the many benefits of these walks:
- Raising money for research
- Raising awareness of a disease
- Showing visible support to survivors
- Remembering a loved one
- Getting people involved in a healthy activity
- Enjoying a beautiful fall day
- Getting involved in community