Thursday, April 1, 2010

The joke's on me

I am not a superstitious person by nature, but this morning had me thinking the world was in on some cosmic joke at my expense.

9:00 a.m. - The person teaming up with me for a 10 a.m. meeting calls to say she can't make. Sitting with son in the doctor's office. I get it. No problem. I'll do the presentation solo.

9:45 a.m. - I check in at the reception desk for the 10 a.m. meeting. Early, as planned. The receptionist says cryptically, "There was a mix up. Your meeting was at 9 a.m."  My contact comes to say, "So sorry. I expected you at 9 and I have a 10 o'clock scheduled. Can't do it today. We'll reschedule."  No problem, I say, smiling, as I sigh inside. They validated my parking.

10:00 a.m. - I go to the library to pick up a book I have on hold.  Can't find it in the Hold stacks.  "Oh, that hold was up yesterday," says the librarian. "Do you want to go back on the list?"  Sure. No big deal. "You're number 4," she confirms.

10:09 a.m. - I'll just pick up the sandwiches my husband asked for since I was going to be downtown and head home. I see paper covering the South Union windows.  Can't be good, I think. And then the sign on the door - Closed for remodeling.

How can I do anything but laugh?  Three strikes and you're out, I think.  Ah, of course, it's April Fools Day. And the joke is on me.

Is it any wonder I pay particular attention at intersections on the drive home?  Wouldn't put it past the cosmic powers to think this is a particularly good day for an accident!

No comments:

Post a Comment