Friday, November 6, 2009

A day like today






When I was in 8th grade, my teacher had us memorize a poem each week. One week it was Helen Hunt Jackson's "October's Bright Blue Weather." I still remember the first stanza:

O SUNS and skies and clouds of June,
And flowers of June together,
Ye cannot rival for one hour
October's bright blue weathe
r

Every year when October's cerulean skies reflect autumn sun, I think of that poem. To me there is nothing better than October skies. Until this year. Cold. Wind. Rain. That was October.

But today - in November - we saw an October sky and enjoyed October weather. With temperatures in the 60s, the wind in my face, the sun kissing my cheeks, I headed out for a walk. Who could be anything but cheerful on a day like today?

The yellow leaves clinging steadfastly to the sugar maple flashed against the brilliant blue sky. Plump red crab apples begged to be appreciated. The laughs of children charging out of the school for recess floated on the breeze. People passing in cars smiled and waved.

It's easy to be cheerful on a day like today. And thankful. An October day in November is a special blessing.

On a day like today, run outside, lift your arms to the sky, laugh, and yell, Thank You!

3 comments:

  1. So true. October is my favorite of the twelve. I love the colors, the temperatures, the crispness that is tangible. It reminds me of my dad who celebrated his birthdays on the 15th of October when the leaves in Iowa were usually at their peak. It's a little hazy here in eastern Iowa today but for November I would be a fool to complain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. November is the new October. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I celebrate both of our birthdays and our anniversary in October. And it was my favorite month even before all that! I'm glad we finally got October, even if it was in November ;)

    ReplyDelete